Unrestricted View

"Lou is not talking about mechanics when he goes out to the mound,"
~Chicago Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Fever Pitch



I've always pondered tha age old question of "If a movie was made about my life, who would play me?" Well, I found the answer. I'm going with Jimmy Fallon. Now, I don't like Jimmy Fallon. In fact, I despise him. But after watching him in Fever Pitch last night, I can't imagine anyone portraying me more accurately.

Here's a list of facts:

I sit here today in the worst mood because the Braves are losing 7-2. The Twins aren't even in the playoffs. The Aggies are getting crushed by Colorado. The Packers are 0-4 for love of God. 0-4! The Lakers look like a borderline playoff team.

On top of that, the teams I hate are doing well. It doesn't help that my 2 roomates are diehard fans of these teams. The Loghorns just whooped up on OU, who they hadn't beat in 5 years. The Astros are in the process of eliminating my Braves for a 2nd consecutive year. The Cowboys have 2 more wins than the Packers. And the Spurs look to be in position to win another NBA title.

I live in a college town that has a ridiculous surplus of very hot 18-24 year old girls. These girls come to my house and try to talk to me, but most of the time I'm to wrapped up in whatever game is on the tube or whatever statistic I'm analyzing on the internet.

What the hell is wrong with me? Why do I get so caught up in something I have absolutely no control over? This is why I found a disturbing connection between myself and Jimmy Fallon's character in Fever Pitch. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, Fallon's love for the Red Sox consistently becomes a barrier in his personal relationships. I find the only difference between Fallon and I is that I don't live in the same city in which my favorite team plays. Suppose I lived in Green Bay. Could I possibly have any type of normal life? I doubt it. I'd be to the Packers what Fallon is to the Red Sox.

So the question is how do we get so caught up in something so trivial? Why do we care so much? It seems to me that the biggest factor in my current happiness is not whether or not I got a good grade on a test. It's not wheteher or not I'm in a good relationship. It all depends on how my teams are playing. And that's depressing.

My roomate Joe is a psychology major. Maybe I'll ask him how unhelathy sports obsession can be. If at all. Maybe it's a wonderful thing to be able to devote so much energy into something you have no control over. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify this insanity once agian.

Digg it   ♦del.icio.us   ♦Technorati   ♦StumbleUpon   ♦Google   ♦Yahoo   ♦reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW A Cub Fan Rants Unrestricted View