Unrestricted View

"Lou is not talking about mechanics when he goes out to the mound,"
~Chicago Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Can I Get A What What...



Francisco Liriano made his third start of the year last night giving up no runs and one questionable hit through 6 innings. He did walk four batters putting him at 8 walks in 16 innings pitched as a starter. He hasn't displayed control problems as a reliever or a starter in the minor leagues so I'm guessing the walks will begin to diminish as his arm gets used to pitching 6-7 innings each night rather than one.

Even with the walks, Liriano has been better than advertised in his first 3 starts of the year. Take a look at the stat line.

IP-16
Runs-1
Hits-7
K-15

I've always been a big fan of Liriano and I feel like he has the potential to be Santana-like. But his overall performance this season has exceeded my wildest expectations. I'll withhold some enthusiasm until I he makes his way through the league lineups for a second time, but I expect by the end of the season Liriano with have dethroned King Felix and taken over the crown as "Best Young Pitcher" in baseball.

Digg it   ♦del.icio.us   ♦Technorati   ♦StumbleUpon   ♦Google   ♦Yahoo   ♦reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW A Cub Fan Rants Unrestricted View