Unrestricted View

"Lou is not talking about mechanics when he goes out to the mound,"
~Chicago Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Jim Bates Gets His Interview

It's been 8 joyous days since the Packers announced the firing of Mike Sherman. In those 8 days it seems as though Ted Thompson has interviewed or planned to interview a dozen candidates.

Brad Childress
Ray Rhodes
Maurice Carthon
Ron Rivera
Wade Phillips
Russ Grimm
Sean Payton
Tim Lewis
Mike McCarthy

And last but not least, Jim Bates. Rumors are flying that Bates interviewed very well this morning and was offered the head coaching job. Rumors are rumors, so take it for what it's worth. But if they are true, I for one would be a very happy camper.

I was thrilled when Bates came to Green Bay a year ago for two reasons. One, I figured he could take a terrible defense and make it respectable without adding any new talent. Mission One accomplished. I also felt very strongly that he was brought in not only to revamp the defense in 2005, but to also take over head coaching duties from Sherman in 2006 and beyond. So not only do I think he would be the best candidate to coach this team, his hiring would also make my prediction true. If only I could pick the games as well as I can pick the coaches I would be a wealthier man.

I'm not going to waste my time doing a full write up on Bates' qualifications until something becomes official. But I do expect to hear by the end of the day that he will be the new Packers head coach. (fingers crossed)

Digg it   ♦del.icio.us   ♦Technorati   ♦StumbleUpon   ♦Google   ♦Yahoo   ♦reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW A Cub Fan Rants Unrestricted View