Unrestricted View

"Lou is not talking about mechanics when he goes out to the mound,"
~Chicago Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Game 1 to the ChiSox


(AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)

Both teams came out swinging, but with Clemens going down after two, and with Cotts and Jenks looking sharp, this thing is close to getting out of hand for the Astros. I had said that Game 1 was a "must win" for the Astros, and I'll explain why. Andy Pettitte has been struggling, although Fox announcers seem to think he's one of the best postseason pitchers ever. Not from where I'm sitting. He's blown as many big games as he's pitched well in, and this year, he's off and I think the righties in the lineup for the White Sox will come through and win Game 2 as well. Not to mention it's Buerhle on the mound for the South Siders, and he's been as hot as anyone not named Oswalt in the playoffs to this point.

Berkman sure comes through though, doesn't he? Leading the Astros going 2-4 last night, .333/.435/.590 for the 2005 postseason, and he hit 11 HR's in Sept/Oct (regular season) going .300/.442/.670 in Houston's push for the playoffs. I'd call him team MVP for 2005.

So, I'm saying the Astros are going to go back to Minute Maid Park down 0-2. Of course, Game 3 is Roy Oswalt's game, so that's one win for 'em. But Backe vs. Garcia doesn't look good. And then it's the question of "can Rocket go in Game 5?" I'm not sure the way he looked last night after he re-strained his hamstring. That's going to be an issue, to say the least.

Basically, it looks good for the White Sox right now, so my Bro ought to be pretty f'n happy right now. I'm sure he is.

The Horns looked like a team on a mission yesterday as well, as Texas knocked off Texas Tech in a massacre, 52-17, in Austin. But, Tech is (was) the most overrated team in all of College Football before that game. I expect them to drop way WAY down in the polls now. I mean, who have they played? I'll tell ya: Florida International (1-5), Sam Houston St.(2-4), Indiana St.(0-8), Kansas (3-4), Nebraska (5-2) and Kansas St.(4-3) That's before they got whooped on National TV by a much better Longhorns team. Why are the Red Raiders even ranked? I'm not sure, but I'm fairly certain it had something to do with hyping this game up for the morons out there. Seriously. Tech might lose to Baylor next weekend.

Well, maybe I'm getting crazy there, but I wouldn't be surprised. They have to play Oklahoma St. (winless in the Big 12), Baylor (better this year, but not even half as good as UT), Kansas (another 40 pt win for sure) and Texas A&M (sorry Aggies, you're getting scorched this time around). Then, it's either Mizzou or the Cornhuskers in the Big 12 "Championship" (no competition this year) and the Horns are on to Pasedena to take on USC or VA Tech in the Rose Bowl. Texas is in the Rose Bowl. Write it down now. Buy your tickets. Seriously.

I, personally, hope USC runs the table, even though their schedule is much tougher, just so I can see these two teams play. Anything else will be anti-climactic and not worth watching. If Georgia's Shockley didn't go down, I'd say they have an outside chance, but it's all about USC-Texas now. USC offensive machine up against the defense of Texas. It would definitely be Must See TV. Add in the fact that they've never played each other, ever, and we've got ourselves a true Sporting Event.

Alright, that's about enough for now. Did you see the Redskins absolutely taking the 49'ers to the woodshed? 42-7 as I type. Ugly. Well, time for me to get ready to go to the Stardust and checkout the Bears. Tough, tough game today with the Ravens. Ought to be a low-scoring slugfest, but we'll have to see about that. The Bears need Thomas Jones to get 120 yds and a couple of TD's, but that's asking a lot vs. the Ravens' D.

Later.

Digg it   ♦del.icio.us   ♦Technorati   ♦StumbleUpon   ♦Google   ♦Yahoo   ♦reddit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW A Cub Fan Rants Unrestricted View